19 May 2010

Another great act skids to a halt at my door...

I am sitting here with a Very Large Smile on my face...

Why? Cos Laughter-House have just secured a world class headliner for our July 15 show. How the heck have we done that?

Well...it's all because of "Come Dine with Me".

Last year, I applied to be on the Basingstoke Come Dine with Me show, my signature dish being Beans sur du Pain Toaste. I ended up as first reserve. Having had the film crew in my bedroom with their hands in my knickers (I'd like to stress they were on the clothes airer at the time) I was fascinated to watch the actual programme.

It was compelling and filled with larger than life personalities - except for a particularly miserable bint called Sophie who had an abundance of (her boyfriend's) money but rather less in the way of manners.

The competition was won by Spencer Uren, who donated his prize money to Basingstoke Hospital, as his sister had recently been diagnosed with cancer. It was a shock to discover that Spencer himself was subsequently diagnosed with the disease and sadly died shortly after the programme was filmed.

Three weeks ago I performed stand up at a charity gig to raise funds for the hospital...and on the bill was a lovely comedian called Dave Thompson.

Well, we talked a bit of nonsense, I helped him straighten his wig out backstage, and he did the same for me, and our friendship was born.

Dave's an extremely experienced comedian; he's performed with Harry Hill, Ben Elton et al, and appeared in numerous adverts...and can lay claim to once being Tinky Winky, before he was sacked by the BBC for inappropriate interpretation of the character. Grin.

He knows several Very Clever People, and what's more, he knows Jim Tavare.

That's right, Jim Tavare...the three-times Royal Variety Performance Jim Tavare, favourite of Prince Charles, veteran of The Jim Tavare Show on Channel 5....and loads of other stuff too numerous to mention here. But you name it, he has done it.

And he's done it all over the world. Usually with a bass..believe me you'll know him when you see him.

Result? Dave chatted to Jim, and the wonderful Jim is coming to Laughter-House Comedy Club in July. What a coup! And of course I've booked Dave to open the night. I can't wait..I know it's going to be a great night's comedy.

Which sort of brings to mind how I met May's headline act, Cole Parker.

We met a couple of years ago at a particularly dire gig in Exeter. I was performing as Nessie Flange, and was busy changing from my short skirt and high heeled boots into a long frumpy checked skirt, flat shoes and big jacket.

He looked over and said "You looked a lot sexier before you got changed"

I hope so Cole. I sodding well hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment